Re: A DBA philosopical question

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 00:12:53 GMT

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 15:10:16 -0800, DA Morgan wrote:

> Bob Jones wrote:
>

>> I have no doubt you have those experiences, but I find it hard to accept
>> that kind of generalization about SAs, or RAID 5 for that matter.

> http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/hafaq.html
>
> "RAID 5 is good for read intensive, but not write intensive applications."

Which can be interpreted as "RAID 5 is great for OLTP. And potentially a total waste of time and $ for Warehouses - which are rebuilt anyway so there may be no real need to protect the data."

Of course - it depends ...

Funny thing is, people defend RAID 5 as cheaper than the others, and then defend the need for the huge cache in front of RAID 5 for speed and then defend RAID 5 as being as good as the others but not quite as inexpensive because of the huge cache ... ???

<sigh> Received on Tue Dec 06 2005 - 18:12:53 CST