Re: JPMorgan Chase to strengthen offshoring to India

From: Scott Moore <samiamsansspam_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 14:57:37 -0800

Chris Hills wrote On 12/06/05 14:01,:
> In article <11pb67jijipsc6a_at_corp.supernews.com>, XOR <NOR_at_norgate.com>
> writes
>

>>JPMorgan Chase to strengthen offshoring to India
>>http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=181952&n_date=20051205&cat=W
>>orld
>>
>>In yet another instance of international businesses
>>moving operations to India,  American banking giant
>>JPMorgan Chase plans to hire 4,500 staff in India over
>>the next two years with an aim to move 30 per cent of
>>its back office and support staff at its investment
>>bank offshore by the end of 2007.
>>
>>The plans are being seen as the most ambitious move
>>till date by an international investment bank to take
>>advantage of the low cost of highly educated staff in India.

> That makes some sense but they later say....
>

>>JPMorgan is also seeking to tap talent that it can use
>>elsewhere in the group and some of those hired for the
>>new operations have already been transferred to the US.

> Now how is that going to work... Surely when they get to the US the cost
> of living is so much higher that they will want US level salaries...
> Unless they are suggesting that
>
> 1 There are no US programmers left
> 2 Indian programers are that much better than US programmers.
>
> I can't see either case being true so something is going astray.
>
> I can see this being a short term fix for shareholders etc but it looks
> like a long term disaster otherwise.

It's inherent to the H1B visa system. The employers bring them over with a bump up in salary, but still way below US average levels. Most people coming here under those circumstances are interested in a green card, and that takes 5 years or more. If you lose your job you have to start the waiting period all over again, and you are in danger of being deported as well. So you suck it up, make that low salary, and take whatever they dish out, since you are basically beholden to your employer. And the 5 years it takes to get your green card is longer than avergage turnover for technical jobs, even at normal salary levels.

Whats not to like for US employers ? Received on Tue Dec 06 2005 - 16:57:37 CST