Re: performance issues

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 06 Dec 2005 17:42:52 GMT

vissuyk_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> ADDM reports suggested bumping up the log buffer. We originally had it
> at 1 M.
> v$db_cache_advice showed we would get 100% at 1.1 G of buffer cache, we
> only allocated 1Gig.

Sybrand tells almost everyone their SGA (when fitting comfortably in RAM) is too big, but I've never seen someone come back and say "yep, that was the problem." While it is possible it is the problem in this case, I don't think it is likely.

> We have 100 (sometime more, but never less)
> running heavy SQL all the time. Not all our SQL is well tuned, but as
> much as we could, we are hitting some issues when we go through Views.
> Anycase, my question is on speeding up DML.

If you run the same DML load in the absense of your 100 heavy SQL, how does it perform then?

> EM shows IO issues during DML (update to be specific).

"IO issues" is pretty meaningless. What specific issues are there? redo? buffer free? buffer busy? scattered read? sequential read?

> Any DML
> specific suggestions would be appreciated.

You can't update rows until you find them. Every update is also implicitly a select. You should not restrict yourself to "DML specific" answers until after you have demonstrated that the problem is on the update side and not the select side. If you run a select statement using the same where clause as your slow update statement, how does it perform?

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB