Re: ORA-01555 error

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Dec 2005 14:59:39 -0800

I seem to recall there is a simple trick to avoiding some single-user delayed-cleanout footshooting. Something like select count(*) from the original table before the CTAS, touches all blocks and wakes up the cleanout. Oh yeah, Metalink Note: 40689.1 and [quoted in] http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:275215756923 explain the situation where this works.

I've kinda wondered why this isn't a stock answer to single user 1555 questions, is the situation so rare?

I certainly prefer to be the only user on the system when I'm doing huge updates or ETL.

Also, check CTAS code to be sure it isn't doing something silly with commits. And is it looking at the table it is creating?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.creativearts.com/tiny-trains/gallery.htm