Re: ORA-01555 error

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:34:12 -0800

bdbafh_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Automatic undo management is not without bugs, even in 10.1.0.4.
> Just last Friday, I saw a case of a single user system with 593 undo
> segments online.
> This was with an undo_retention of 300 seconds.
> Perhaps the Vendor actually knows what they are talking about.
> Part of "oracle basics" would be to examine the situation in detail,
> not jumping to conclusions prematurely and using the term "it depends"
> for starters.
>
> Personally, I think that automatic undo is not designed for large batch
> operations, but maybe it works better in 10.2.
>
> -bdbafh

You've got me fascianted. A single user Oracle system? Someone actually went in and manually adjusted the default retention time downward? Why? And what else did they do? I've seen nothing in Undo that would make me ever go back to rollback segments. And I suspect I've seen systems far larger, and with far higher demands, than your single user system can even dream of.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org