Re: What will happen after this senario?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 5 Dec 2005 09:33:39 -0800

Commens embedded.
2ooo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've install oracle 9i with 9.0.2.5 patch on windows 2000 server as
> "ABC" user who member windows administrator group.

Which flies in the face of convention, intuitive installation and the accepted guidelines provided by Oracle as no one, with the lone exception of yourself, will know this ABC user is the Oracle software owner. And, you apparently haven't seen fit to pass this information to anyone else outside of this newsgroup.

> Then I've create a small database ("DB1") and its listener... and then
> opened them. They are working properly and clients are connecting and
> using nicely. Everything is fine..

For now.

> But some day, Administrator of
> windows will log in the OS and drop the user ABC by mistake...

So out of the blue, so to speak, this Administrator will simply choose, at random, this ABC user to drop, without investigating WHAT applications and software this user's abscence might affect. How thoughtful and thorough this Administrator must be...

> he
> doesn't know password of ABC user... So dropped the owner of oracle
> services and binaries... and then he will restart the server...
> now what will happen?

The service will die an agonising death. Actually, it will fail to start. Oh, and your database won't start. And both you and your Administrator will be looking for new employment. Anyone who drops a user without first investigating WHY that user exists is a poor example of an Administrator. And anyone who installs a major software product and ignores the pre-installation checklist and accepted guidelines needs to find some other line of work.

> Does the oracle database DB1 still live?

Only in your fondest dreams.

> if answer no then what will happen when re-create the ABC user
> different password? is it related spfile or password file ? etc..etc...

You COULD recreate the ABC user and grant it the same access as it currently enjoys, and your service and instance will probably run. And, no, it's not related at ALL to the spfile and it's not dependent upon the password file, either. But, had you created an ORACLE user instead of this ABC business you wouldn't be asking this question, nor would you be considering this problem.

> What do you think about this problem?

I think you should have paid more attention to what you were doing, and should have followed the accepted guidelines for an Oracle installation rather than making up your own rules. You have successfully set yourself up for failure with this situation, and you've done it with what appears to be a production instance. When this system fails you and your wonderful Windows Adminstrator will likely be shown the door; you, for failing to follow accepted guidelines and your Administrator for failing to properly research an action to ensure it didn't affect the availability of your database and, as a result, adversely impact user productivity. There is a place for creative thought in the IT world, but installing major software using undocumented user accounts is not one of them. Nor is installing such software and failing to notify the server Administrator you've done so. Then, if this were my shop this question wouldn't have seen the light of day, as the installation would have been performed properly, according to the guidelines set forth in the installation documentation. And the server Administrator would have been informed of the installation and of the user accounts required for its proper operation.

You have set yourself up for failure, on a grand scale. You should update your resume, and do it quickly, as I you'll likely be looking for new employment.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Dec 05 2005 - 11:33:39 CST