Creating a db from UPGRADED templates

From: <julius.cooper_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Dec 2005 08:09:13 -0800

Hello all,

I have posted this on MetaLink, but I have yet to get a response, so I thought I'd come here:

I am trying to create a "rescue disk" for a database in a replicated environment, under the assumption that I have an existing replication group up and running, and need to re-add one of the servers in that group (following a server crash, for instance).

The first step, of course, is to get the DB software re-installed (from 9.2.0.1), then to patch it up to 9.2.0.5 (first upgrading OUI, then upgrading the database software).

My question is: if I create a new database from a template which was created AFTER the original DB had been upgraded (including "startup migrate", and running catpatch and utlrp against it), will my new DB need to have catpatch and utlrp applied again? My gut feeling is "No, that database is already patched up," but I want to be sure.

I found a thread regarding a similar issue from September 2004, but it didn't entirely placate me, so I figured I'd throw this out there again.

Regards,

Julius Cooper
Oracle DBA Received on Mon Dec 05 2005 - 10:09:13 CST