Re: FW: Informix versus Oracle Spatial

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 21:50:38 +1100

Superboer apparently said,on my timestamp of 3/12/2005 1:07 AM:

> Just tryed:
>
> create table nullix( a int, b char(10), primary key(a));
>
> insert into nullix (b) values ('One ');
>
> ---- error does not allow null in col a ...
>
> So obstacle is dictating to have a PK which does not allow nulls in my
> table...

Try also function-based indexes with the function being nvl(column,constant).

> to get the real answer i guess one has to goto the sql specs.
> -- haven't got them; any takers....???

Exactly. Mark has already mentioned why it is so in Oracle: it follows the standard while others don't. Not a problem IMO, you can use the function-based indexes to make it behave like the others.

Or use a true PK (which does not allow null values to start with) if you want to be really specious about standards.

The important thing to consider is to think outside the box and use *all* features rather than expect vanilla Oracle to match other's behaviours: it won't.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto