Re: ORA-01555 error

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 07:25:53 +0000 (UTC)

"kwr2k" <Kanwar.Plaha_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1133734763.039658.176820_at_g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi guys,
> We have a long-running query (CTAS) that throws up ORA-01555. This is
> the only query running against the database, which is Oracle9i
> (9.2.0.6). Also, automatic undo is turned off on instructions from the
> application vendor. Increasing the rollback tablespace makes this error
> go away although the high water mark does not justify the increase in
> tablespace size.
>
> My question is: What are all the possible causes of this error and what
> can be done in each case?
>
> Thanks.

  1. Other DML activity going on against the data you are reading for the CTAS.
  2. Your own session causing delayed block cleanout on the data you are reading.

In either case, the first step is to check on the efficiency of the query that the CTAS is running - the quicker it runs, the less chance there is for other people to generate excess rollback; the fewer (redundant) data blocks it visits the less likely it is to cripple itself with delayed block cleanout.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html
Public Appearances - schedule updated 29th Nov 2005