Re: restore database to older version after resetlog?

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:12:06 GMT

On 1 Dec 2005 23:33:36 -0800, "Susan" <susana73_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am using RMAN to do hot backup. Let's say, I did a point-in-time
>RMAN restore using yesterday's backup and database is now opened by
>doing "resetlog". Since the log is reset, I need to do "reset
>database" to the RMAN catalog.
>
>My question is, now that the catalog and database is reset, would I
>still able to restore the database to a version older than the time of
>"reset"? For example, I want to restore the database back to the
>version a week ago using RMAN. Can I do that?
>
>Thanks.
>Susan

Hi Susan,

Feel free to give version and platform next time, thank you.

I'll assume you're below 10.1.

You can restore forth and back as long as you have backups, also through resetlogs.Below 10.1, you either need to maintain an RMAN catalog and reset database incarnation OR keep continous copies of the controlfile.

Beware that you cannot *recover* through resetlogs before 10.1 ( at least not without calling some very expensive expert). That is why you always need a full backup on top of a RESETLOGS.

Say you made a resetlogs at 16:00. You continue from there for 10 hours without making a full backup.

After 10 hours you discover a fatal user error and need to go 4 hours back in time. You can restore a backup from before RESETLOGS, but it will only recover to the point of RESETLOGS (10 hours back). So you must either stay where you are or go 10 hours back or call one of the long-haired, expensive guys to fix it.

This applies to 9i and below. 10g recovers through resetlogs and its flashback features gives you another chance.