Re: Selects via DB Links - Special Tuning Considerations

From: Steven Kondolf <skondolf_at_nospam.rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 16:26:39 GMT

On 2 Dec 2005 20:33:53 -0800, fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

>Comments embedded.
>Bob Jones wrote:
>> "Steven Kondolf" <skondolf_at_nospam.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>> > We have an old 8.0.6.3 database running on HPUX 11 that currently
>> > contains our Oracle Applications 11.0.3 instance (both database and
>> > APPL_TOP) as well as a data warehouse schema. We are beginning to run
>> > out of physical room and plan on moving the data whse schema over to a
>> > Linux server running 10g (10.2.0.1) and Redhat AS 4.0. This will also
>> > free up processing resources on the old HP box.
>> >
>> > As we cannot upgrade our 11.0.3/HP box until next year due to business
>> > reasons (read MONEY), our 8.0.6 box will still contain the
>> > jobs/reports/scripts etc. Our plan is to build a db link from the
>> > 8.0.6 box to the 10.2 box and change our code to perform our
>> > processing via this db link.
>> >
>> > Are there any special tuning considerations relative to db links,
>> > sqlnet, etc. that I should be looking at? I've found notes on
>> > Metalink commenting on tuning sqlnet by setting the SDU and TDU sizes
>> > but I've also found notes that state this would be of limited value
>> > and the "default settings" are adequate in the vast majority of
>> > situations.
>> >
>> > I don't have a lot of Oracle8 documentation available and am currently
>> > having trouble connecting to tahiti.oracle.com to see if there's any
>> > docs for 8 there. Thanks for any help or insights given.
>> >
>> > Steve
>>
>> You might run into problems since version 8 is no longer supported.
>
>That is the least of his worries, as 8.0.x will not 'converse' with 10g
>of any sort via SQL*net. Not directly, anyway. Such a configuration
>requires an intermediate version such as 9.0.1 or 9.2.0 to act as a
>'gateway'. The earliest release which will connect to 10g directly is
>8.1.7.x.

I've been able to build a link and connect from 8.0.6.3 to 10.2 but I can't converse from 10.2 back to 8.0.6.3. The few test scripts I've run have successfully loaded tables on the 10.2 box with data from the 8.0.6.3 box. Naturally I'll be doing some more extensive testing. Received on Sat Dec 03 2005 - 10:26:39 CST