Re: FW: Informix versus Oracle Spatial

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 22:41:39 +1100

rkusenet apparently said,on my timestamp of 1/12/2005 10:11 PM:

> my knowledge about Oracle is minimal.
>
> Could it be because Oracle does not index null values.

Actually, it can. Quite easily. But it requires reading a manual, something these "geniuses" are alergic to...

>>you will probably tell me that the above is how it should work...
>>right??
>>having multiple null values in a unique index....

Absolutely. null is absence of any information about a datum, how can you know that it is a duplicate? It might well not be.

You are confusing unique index with primary key index and unique key. There is a difference. Unnoticed in products that don't have a clue what keys are for. But once again, it requires reading a manual...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto