Re: Building app around Flashback Versions Query

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:02:15 +0000 (UTC)

I think you may be thinking of the SMON_SCN_TIME table which Oracle uses to convert from timestamps to SCNs if you use the 'as of timestamp' form.

This is limited to a rolling 1440 entries (per instance) and gets updated every five minutes - which means you can get five days of timestamps in a non-stop database. (or 10 days if you shutdown from 6 pm to 6 am ;)

The last time I looked, the limit hadn't changed in 10g, but Oracle had implemented a change that improved the accuracy of the conversion from time to SCN - the earlier versions were only accurate to that five minute boundary.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html
Public Appearances - schedule updated 4th Nov 2005