Re: Relogging into Oracle using Access 2000 vba

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 21:31:00 +0100

On 1 Dec 2005 09:19:17 -0800, "Marvinq" <marvin_q_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am working on an Access 2002/Oracle vba automated overnight process.
>The problem is there is one user with rights to a certian set of tables
>and another user with a certain set of tables. I can't run the
>overnight process with just one login. Currently, I am having problems
>with relogging into the database with a different login.
>
>Even when I enter a different userid and password into a connection
>string, the system seems to still use to old login and password. Is
>there a better way to relog into the system? Here is the connection
>string I am using.
>
>"ODBC;DSN=dsnname;uid=userid;pwd=password;SERVER=ORACLEDB"
>
>I am new to Oracle so I don't know exactly if I wrote the string the
>correct way.
>
>What is the best way to relog into this Oracle database using vba?
>This is really important so if you have any code that works please post
>it here!
>
>Thanks in advance
>Marvin

>The problem is there is one user with rights to a certian set of tables
>and another user with a certain set of tables. I can't run the
>overnight process with just one login.

So you need to make sure one user has the proper grants. Fix the problem, don't try to cure the symptoms and hack around it.

Apart from using the Oracle Call Interface (in C), or may be using low level ODBC calls, NO mechanism can log you in from the same session a second time.
So, get the program working and stop trying to be 'smart'. Whoever set it up this way needs either to be fired, or to get beaten by a leadpipe.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA