A DBA philosopical question

From: <jared.hecker_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Dec 2005 11:50:49 -0800

I am consulting at an all-Windows shop, running mostly 9.2.0.3 - 9.2.0.6 under Windows 2003 Server. The one no-no I've encountered so far is that their SAN array is all RAID 5. As they have grown by acquisition, this is an old, old StorageTek unit that supposedly does not support RAID 1,0.

I am looking into I/O constraint issues :-). What I found is pretty surprising, and thus generates the "philosophical question". Their Oracle servers are configured with one internal drive and two logical volumes from the SAN array. The DBA's here rightly multiplexed their control files, one on each drive. Looking at the physical disk access screens via OEM, I see that the C: drive takes far longer to write. It contains control01.ctl. So the question is: Is it better to multiplex to two spindles (the faster SAN volumes) to gain the I/O, or is it better to multiplex to three drives?

Kind regards,
jh Received on Thu Dec 01 2005 - 13:50:49 CST