Re: Create Test database from Main Database

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:46:26 GMT

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 04:58:15 -0800, dinesh.kulhari wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have one datawarehouse and we are developing reports at offsoure.
> For developing reports we need one test database at offsoure. for this
> purpose we need a small part of our main database export in one dump.
> Does this possible to create small part of database like that?
>
> If you have any other suggistion please tell me. We try to give direct
> access to live data base but speed is very slow and not possible to
> work.
>
> Thanks,
> Dinesh

Dinesh, I have very positive experience with Princeton Softech Move4Servers. Their product can extract a relationally correct subset of a database (follows foreign keys) and insert it into the target database. I used it while I was working for a large HMO (now swallowed by an even larger one) which had 1.1TB database before year 2000. Their website is: http://www.princetonsoftech.com
Their product has been renamed and I don't know the new name. I haven't had any contact with them since I left that HMO in 2003. Performance and the capabilities of the product were impressive even then and the company also has an excellent technical support.

--
http://www.mgogala.com