Re: Performance-Monitoring

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2005 16:29:08 -0800

OEM does indeed have interesting performance information for your db. It is an extra-cost option. It is worth it if you need to demonstrate to management that you are nearing saturation points and need to tune or upgrade. Or sometimes just fix stuff no one has noticed is broken, a common occurrence when consultants/vendors/newbies install products.

I disagree with Frank's first response - it is part of a DBA's job to be proactive and be sure things are working properly before the customers complain. I agree inasmuch as some people fall into Compulsive Tuning Disorder or fall victim to reorganization myths or the ratio tuning anachronisms.

But that seems to assume that all sql has been properly tuned/explained/statpacked, that instances are properly tuned (see the advisors in OEM), even that tables have been properly PCT...'d. And then claim that most performance problems are from badly tuned SQL! There are multiple values for "tuning for the sake of tuning." SQL statements need to be tuned in development and tuned again (at least checked) in production. Alert logs need to be monitored for errors, adherence to recoverability agreements and so forth. Alerts need to be set up for space and other defined critical issues.

I say, you can only use the "users are complaining so that can order the business importance of issues" _after_ a proper tuning baseline is in place. Call me a radical if you must.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://dkrukovsky.blogspot.com/2005/07/how-to-write-comments.html