Re: informix market share

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:53:46 GMT

"Serge Rielau" <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote in message news:3v4uptF143j3fU1_at_individual.net...
> Bob Jones wrote:
>>>The *new license* sales of DB2 is as much as Oracle. Since bulk
>>>of DB2 sales is on mainframe platform, it tells that Db2 on mainframe
>>>still sells as much as Oracle. I think this fact by itself deserves
>>>respect.
>>>
>>>If anyone takes an inventory of mission critical applications running on
>>>databases, Db2 may end up as #1.
>>>

>> Could it be because many customers are locked in to mainframe and the
>> software on mainframe is outrageously expensive? Of course it deserves
>> respect. IBM can sell DB2 on its own proprietary platform.
> Why would a customer be locked into the mainframe?
> Isn't RAC on Linux good enough?
> Also note that analysts generally count NEW licence revenues.
> That would hardly be revenue coming from lock in.
>
> Cheers
> Serge
> --
> Serge Rielau
> DB2 SQL Compiler Development
> IBM Toronto Lab

Do you know what "lock in" means? It means you cannot migrate even there are better options out there. Is RAC good enough? Hell, yes. Even non-RAC is better.

Companies that are locked in to mainframe are more likely to use DB2 even on other platforms. So NEW licenses don't surprise me.

How many customers out there would migrate to or deploy new applications on mainframe, when they don't already have one? Very few. Received on Wed Nov 30 2005 - 16:53:46 CST