Re: Drop a Temporary Segment

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:19:22 -0800

s_leahy_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I just started at a new company who is running Oracle 8i on Windows
> 2000. I found a Temporary segment in the production data tablespace.
> (I think this segment also has some corrupt data blocks). I can't find
> a way to just drop it. I have tried to "get" smon to clean it up, but
> it is still there. The database has stopped and started a few times
> since I have been here. No users in the DBA_USERS view have this
> tablespace as their temporary tablespace. How can I get rid of this
> segment?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean

Before hazarding a guess at what you are asking I would appreciate seeing the actual SQL statements and their output that demonstrate the issue.

Right now I am torn between one of the following:

1. You are looking at something normal and misinterpreting it.
2. You know just enough to be really dangerous
3. There is a problem but I can't tell precisely what it is.

Sorry I couldn't give you something else.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org