Re: informix market share

From: <mjbox01_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2005 06:30:41 -0800

RollForward Wizard wrote:
> mjbox01_at_gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > You were wrong about Oracle not having technical merit.
> >

> I didn't say Oracle has no technical merit. I merely pointed out that
> on its own merits, for the money, it is not as good as it could or
> should be. This can be qualified by simply comparing it to comparable
> products.

Okay, so I summarized, I will spell it out for you

> Oracle is more about corporate culture than anything really to do with
> technology, which is the point to my statements.

You are wrong here.

> Oracle is a beast compared to any other db out there,
> it is difficult to manage, has fewer options overall on how to use it,
> and it just sucks from an architectural standpoint.

You are wrong here.

> But what are customers
> really buying when they buy an Oracle database engine? Old technology.
> The engine never seems to change, just the wrapping and marketing.

You are wrong here

> You
> begin to see the limitations, the restrictions, the narrow band of options
> that Oracle really has, meaning it really can only be set up with very few
> architectural options compared to other products out there.

You are wrong here.

> I also pointed out that many in your camp are enamored with the glow of
> Oracle marketing.

You are wrong here.

> > The only reason you gave for this was that you find it harder to learn
> > than other databases. Obviously this is only one viewpoint, as I for
> > example have another, and some people even prefer Pick for exactly the
> > same reason. This is the meaningless part.
> >

> But to say it's meaningless negates even your own statements, is this
> what you really want?

Sort of, you grasp a little understanding but you still spin and twist. The facts that I prefer Oracle, and others prefer Pick are also meaningless in the context of a technical discussion. I did not say the fact that I prefer Oracle makes it better, that is your argument. I said it to show how meaningless it is. Like whose favorite color is better. It is you who then go on to conjecture that because I give an example of how pointless an opinion is, to show that yours are worthless, you go on to say this negates my own statements. It negates precisely two statements. Oracle is better because I prefer it, and Pick is better because some people prefer that. If you agree with this it also negates anything you say about Oracle's technical features which are based on the facts that you find it difficult and therefore don't like it.

Maybe you should just get over the fact the you have trouble using Oracle, despite the fact many people don't have the same problems.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_frm/thread/2da3dcecfe07b6b3 Received on Wed Nov 30 2005 - 08:30:41 CST