Re: After Sort what?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:20:25 +0000 (UTC)

"Pradeep" <agarwalp_at_eeism.com> wrote in message news:1133341571.360629.100880_at_g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks Jonathan. You Rock.
> But just need a little bit of clarification. (I hope you don't get
> pissed of on me)
>
> 1. So sort_area_retained_size is a memory area which is retained, it
> has nothing to do with the Sorted rows (sorted rows are in the temp
> tablespace) Am i correct ?

    That's a point that people could easily argue about,     but technically I think it's a valid point. But bear in mind     that if the sort_area_retained_size was large enough the     sort would have completed in the sort_area_retained_size     and the rows will still be there in sorted order. Moreover,     since most people leave the parameter at zero, the     actual value for sort_area_retained_size follows the     current value of sort_area_size, so it might be quite     big and could often be large enough for in-memory     sorts.

> 2. Now who reads the data from the temp tablespace ? is it server
> process ?

    Yes (as in your dedicated server, or shared server process).

> 3. If i don't have a temp tablespace in my database, then where does it
> store the sorted result set?

    If you haven't declared a temp tablespace, or haven't associated     a user with a temp tablespace then the SYSTEM tablespace is     the default tablespace. 9i (I think) allowed you do define a     'default temporary tablespace' so that any user with no explicitly     named tablespace would go to the default.