Re: DB2 HADB

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 06:42:49 -0800

"Serge Rielau" <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote in message news:3uvig4F139157U1_at_individual.net...
> Mark A wrote:
> > "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
> >
> >>And who is running SAP, PeopleSoft, Siebel, etc. on mainframes?
> > There a lot of companies who run Peoplesoft on mainframes. SAP can run
on a
> > mainframe running Linux, of which there are some customers that I know
of
> > (but probably not a lot of customers).
> SAP is pretty strong on the mainframe and it's running on DB2 for zOS.
> I have no clue about others. How did we get to that topic now anyway?
>
> Cheers
> Serge
>
> PS: I like Jim's revelation that marketshare doesn't matter anymore. Cute.
> --
> Serge Rielau
> DB2 SQL Compiler Development
> IBM Toronto Lab

Serge,
Learn how to read something other than code. I said that it was irrelevant to the argument. nonsequitor is Latin for "it doesn't follow". It is quite common at large sites to have more than one type of machine and more than one type of OS. (eg SUN hardware running Solaris and Dell hardware running Windows etc.) So one could have a database on several different platforms. Having a database with the same name but operate differently just unnecessarily complicates things.

But IBM isn't known for a customer focus. I remember about 10 years ago trying to order some software from IBM (because the salesman left out a part number from our order - run DB2 on OS2 so we could develop a driver under Windows 3.11, but he left out the part to communicate with the OS2 box) and finding that it would take 3 weeks to get the software in the mail. The rigmarole to put a couple of floppy disks in a box and mail it to us was silly. I could order software from a company in New Hampshire (PC Connection) by 3:00 PM and get it by 10 AM the next day. (They didn't carry this software or I would have.) Amazing. Of course, this is a type of nonsequitor.
Jim Received on Mon Nov 28 2005 - 08:42:49 CST