Re: Scripting language with a support for array interface

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 27 Nov 2005 21:56:08 -0800

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> As you can see, it's not even remotely looking like the web application.
> I temporarily solved the problem by creating a comma separated file
> that I will further load by SQL*Loader, which does support array interface
> as well as direct load. I hate this patchwork solution, but if I do want
> to load 20,000,000 before I'm eligible for social security check, I do
> need at least the array interface, if not the direct load support. So, my

Might want to have a quick look at external tables? I've found they behave MOL like the functionality of Loader with respect to "decoding" the external data format and do let me use the full power of sql functions for nifty data transformation. Combined with Merge, they can churn some amazing volumes of data and no worries about arrays and such: all done inside the SQL engine.

Be aware though that MERGE has some very weird limitations in 9i at least. Eg: if you get more than one row in the update path with the

same selection criteria (pk), you get an internal error: Merge won't update
the same row more than once in a single execution. DAMHIKT... Received on Sun Nov 27 2005 - 23:56:08 CST