Re: DB2 HADR

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:06:59 -0700

"Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:GfOdnUyzTMP5FxfeRVn-sQ_at_comcast.com...

> So if we mention it about Oracle then we are zealouts. If you mention it
> about IBM then you are just a DBA. C'est la vie.

No, I didn't bring the subject up. Someone else did. I was just tyring to set the record straight and be accurate.

> The 'code base issue' as you call it is actually very simple.
>
> At Oracle, the database, app server, collaboration suite, enterprise
> management tools, and development tools all come from the same group. We
> share a common schedule for release. We share the same testing and porting
> resources. We co-ordinate release activities across different products. So
> the staggered releases that you see are not indicative at all of different
> code bases, just pure scheduling decisions, as one product/port
> combination 'makes way' for another in the schedule.
>
> So if you believe that this is an issue at Oracle, then you would also
> have to concede that it is equally an issue at IBM, gven that the 45
> different variants of DB2 branded products are not all available on the
> same platforms at the same time. As well as the 7 Informix products. As
> well as U2 and Cloudscape. As well as anything put out by the Websphere,
> Tivoli and Lotus development groups. But of course, that's not an issue,
> right ?

I don't quite understand. DB2 for z/OS is a different product than DB2 for LUW, so it doesn't really make a difference if they come out at the same time for a particular version number, since the version numbers on two different products are not comparable.

If you are saying that the Oracle tools are tightly integrated into Oracle, and for IBM they are completely different products, then you have a valid point there. Of course many people use Websphere for non-DB2 databases, and like the fact that it is not tightly integrated with DB2.

As I said before, I don't really think the code base stuff is an issue because Oracle is not a viable option on z/OS for most shops, and Oracle does not run on AS/400, so the fact that there are different DB2 products (different code base) for those platforms is irrelevant when comparing to Oracle. On the platforms that matter (Linux, UNIX, Windows), both Oracle and DB2 have the same code base.

But as I said, I did not bring up the subject, and most of this code base stuff is just a bunch marketing BS of the zealots, IMO. Received on Sun Nov 27 2005 - 23:06:59 CST