Re: DB2 HADR

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:41:05 -0800

Mark A wrote:
> "Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote in message
>

>>So does this make you a DB2 zealot then ?

> Not a zealot, just a DBA. It's just software, not the holy grail. Just about
> any RDBMS will do the job about 95% of the time.

So if we mention it about Oracle then we are zealouts. If you mention it about IBM then you are just a DBA. C'est la vie.

BTW - I am an Oracle zealout, and I think Daniel would describe himself as one as well. I don't think either of us are in denial about it.

> To be honest, I don't really care about the code base issue. I use Oracle on
> Linux, and lately that has been the first Oracle platform released. I would
> never have even mentioned the code base issue, but others have brought it up
> in a way that seems very inaccurate to me.

The 'code base issue' as you call it is actually very simple.

At Oracle, the database, app server, collaboration suite, enterprise management tools, and development tools all come from the same group. We share a common schedule for release. We share the same testing and porting resources. We co-ordinate release activities across different products. So the staggered releases that you see are not indicative at all of different code bases, just pure scheduling decisions, as one product/port combination 'makes way' for another in the schedule.

So if you believe that this is an issue at Oracle, then you would also have to concede that it is equally an issue at IBM, gven that the 45 different variants of DB2 branded products are not all available on the same platforms at the same time. As well as the 7 Informix products. As well as U2 and Cloudscape. As well as anything put out by the Websphere, Tivoli and Lotus development groups. But of course, that's not an issue, right ? Received on Sun Nov 27 2005 - 22:41:05 CST