Re: informix market share

From: Michael Segel <MNoSpamSegel_at_NoSPAMSegel.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:18:54 -0600

Captain Pedantic wrote:

>> why bother keeping Informix up-to-date. This doesn't make sense.

> This point - if IBM wants to kill Informix why are they bothering to keep
> Informix so up-to-date? - is an excellent point but begs the equally valid
> and baffling question "Why are they bothering to put so much quality R&D
> into Informix if they won't advertise it?".

Uhm AD, thats actually not true.

Hypothetically speaking, the cost of enhancements and support pales to the potential litigation that would occur had IBM not done so.

But this is all FUD.
Certain senior execs at IBM did make a lot of mistakes, some seriously brain dead so one has to wonder about their motives.

But there's definitely more to the story.

>> Informix is still toast bcos of FUD. What I think is going to happen is
>> that
>> in another 1/2 yrs DB2 will match Informix in features and performance
>> and at that time many of Informix customer will migrate to DB2.

> This is just bollocks. IBM execs have already learnt the hard and painful
> truth that Informix customers will not migrate to DB2.

Hmmm.
There is always some truth to the FUD. Thats what makes it so believable.

1/2 yrs is pretty aggressive for a time table. I would have to say its going to be a tad longer than that. ;-)

Some will migrate and have migrated to DB2. And no, I can't comment further on that.

>> Add to it that no one wants to learn Informix skills, the demise will be
>> further accelerated.

> That may however be true.

No. There's a convergence on RDBMs due to JDBC and Java. As long as the RDBMs support the SQL standards and JDBC standard, you will see the bulk of the skills being retained. On the reverse side, as the data bases become "self healing", the need for specific tuning skills will deminish. You still have the gurus, but you will not need them for 90% of the workload.

Truthfully Informix is still much easier to tune and maintain that DB2 or Oracle.

But hey, what do I know? ;-)

--
We don't like no stinking Spammers. Remove the "No spam" from my e-mail addy
and send replies. ;-)