Re: informix market share

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:18:35 -0800

> IBM's $1b is quite well spent if you take into account all this.
> Good database engineers, proven technology of Informix
> which can be fast-tracked into Db2 without reinventing
> the wheel. Just wait until Viper is out.

I do not believe IBM gained 2000 database engineers when they bought Informix. I doubt that Informix every had 2000 database engineers working for them at any one time. I presume you are talking about in development engineers, as opposed to support engineers.

I think the $1 billion spent on Informix was a huge mistake. IBM could have spent the $1 billion on better marketing of DB2, better rewarding their sales force for DB2 sales, and funding ISVs to port more quickly to DB2. This would have gained much more marketshare for them by now. Received on Sun Nov 27 2005 - 21:18:35 CST