Re: Oracle Selects Sun As Reference Platform ... again

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 27 Nov 2005 19:18:05 -0800

Michael42 wrote:

> moving target of LINUX. In the past 5 years I have had to support:
>
> Sun: Solaris 8 and soon 10 (both Fortune 500 companies I worked for
> skipped 9).

<low voice>
you forgot the two truck loads of patches... </low voice>

> LINUX: Redhat 7.2, Redhat 7.3, Redhat 8, Redhat 9, Redhat Enterprise 3
> and Fedora. All of these platforms had a slue of specialized support
> tasks that were terribly documented. As an Oracle DBA if you dont KNOW
> LINUX as a system admin you are up a tree.

Very good point. It looks like Linux is repeating exactly the same errors of proprietary Unix back in the 80s. If only they had the prescience of learning from history. But no, they have to be "individuals" and of course anything done before is "old hat"... Received on Sun Nov 27 2005 - 21:18:05 CST