Re: informix market share

From: rkusenet <rkusenet_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:04:47 -0500

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1133128055.247663_at_yasure...
> rkusenet wrote:
>
>> IBM did not buy Informix to increase. It bought Informix for following reasons:-
>>
>> - to assuage concerns of big Informix customers like Wal-Mart. It is strongly
>> rumored that IBM bought Informix upon advise from Wal-Mart. One thing is
>> sure. With IBM as its new owner, Informix can never go bankrupt, leaving
>> its customer high and dry.
>
> This seems the most unlikely reason I can imagine. Why would company A
> care whether company B, a competitor, went bankrupt? Methinks a more
> logical reason was that company A did something stupid, from a legal
> standpoint, and company B saw an opportunity to pick up marketshare and
> technology for a reasonable price while avoiding costly litigation.

That's why I said rumor. Taken from wikipedia page on informix

" In 2001 IBM, prompted by a suggestion from Wal-Mart [1], purchased Informix. IBM has long-term plans to merge Informix technology into DB2, though as of 2004 it continues to release enhanced versions of the Informix product line. In early 2005, IBM released version 10 of Informix IDS. "

> Imagine when there is not a single dollar of revenue coming to IBM
> attributable to the sales of DB2. Imagine the research money. Imagine
> the marketing dollars. Imagine the sales bonuses. Imagine sales three
> years later ... better have a good imagination. IBM isn't that stupid.

Within days of IBM purchasing Informix, Oracle started dangling carrots in front of Informix customer - Free migration to Oracle. If Oracle can do it, why not IBM. Received on Sun Nov 27 2005 - 17:04:47 CST