Re: ORA-01654

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:56:31 +0100

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:23:24 GMT, "Shredder" <shred_at_shredder.com> wrote:

>I am not very knowledgeable with Oracle and I am getting this error mesage
>when trying to save data into our MRP database. The transactions are issued
>using a front end to Oracle called Obvious MRP. I am running Oracle 8i on a
>Netware 5.1 Server. I have verified that I have 15GB of free space on my
>Volume. Can anyone give me any suggestions?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Brian
>
>ORA-01654: unable to extend index SYSADM.OPS_TRANS_IDX1 by 138254 in
>tablespace SYSTEM ORA-27039: create file failed, file size limit reached
>OSD-02067: illegal option specified

First of all, do NOT create end-user objects in the SYSTEM tablespace EVER.
Secondly, the error messages are quite clear 1 index needs to be extended, and can't be extended 2 The tablespace needs to extend, and this can't be done because the size of the file reached a fixed Netware imposed limit. Cure: you need to add another datafile to this tablespace, but better still:
create a second tablespace
and issue
alter table <table_name> move ....
and
alter index rebuild .tablespace ...
commands.

Then of course: consult the manuals before creating havoc.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA