Re: informix market share

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:18:25 GMT

"rkusenet" <rkusenet_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Wulif.904$wf2.43349_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> "Bob Jones" <email_at_me.not> wrote in message
>
>> Even so, Informix had only 1.4% market share in 2004, even less than
>> Sybase.
>
> that's 1.4% of all market. Informix does not run on mainframes or AS/400.
>
> For e.g. Db2 and Oracle have almost same market share, around 33%.
> But the difference is that Db2 has almost all of it in mainframe and AS
> 400
> platform and Oracle has it in LUW platform. I think Oracle's market share
> in Unix/Linux is around 70%. In 1996 Informix held 21% of Unix market
> share.
> I think that was its best ever market share.
> Does anyone know how much does Informix now have in LUW. I will be
> surprised
> if it is anything more than 5-7%.

Ok, let's just talk about LUW then. The market share for Informix was about 5% in 2004, down 1% from 2003. That just doesn't make me feel any better. Keep in mind, IBM bought Informix to increase its database share on UNIX. So far I am not seeing it happening. If Informix sales continue to dwindle, customers will be forced to migrate soon. Received on Sun Nov 27 2005 - 12:18:25 CST