Re: informix market share

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 22:19:57 -0800

rkusenet wrote:

> Much I like Informix (though I stopped working with it for about a year
> now), I also think it is toast for reasons totally different. What
> is happening is that Informix skilled people are rapidly shrinking, just like
> Sybase and other fading products. In my last project I worked with some
> UK folks and was shocked to learn that they were exposed to only one
> RDBMS: SQL Server, right thru their college days. Little bit of research
> told me that this trend is bit global with most of the fresh graduates hardly
> proficient in lesser known databases.

That is precisely what I have been saying but few want to hear the message. But what you also need to know is that what drives the curriculum in classes such as mine is attendance. And students have no interest in classes taught in anything other than SQL Server and Oracle.

And it isn't just at the University of Washington, 1.5 miles away from Bill Gates house. It is the same at the vast majority of colleges and universities.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org