Re: informix market share

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:21:44 -0500

Jim Kennedy wrote:

> "xiaoxin" <lixiaoxinwb_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I'm an Oracle DBA. The vendor of our current application is helpless.
>>We are looking for a new one. The one my manager like most is based on
>>informix/linux because of the application's functionalities. I try to
>>convince him that moving to informix now isn't a good idea.
>>
>>Any help are appreciated.
>>
>>BTW, please don't use any technical points such as multiversioning and
>>nonblocking reads. I need something that managers are interested in.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Xiaoxin
>>

> IBM owns Informix.  IBM has created DB2. Informix and DB2 compete for the
> same customers.  Having 2 development.QA, etc. teams is costly.  Informix is
> being sunsetted. (wouldn't you if you were IBM)
>
> Why would you want to go with a product that is being sunsetted?
> Jim

Post that in a Peoplesoft or Siebel newsgroup.. Or Oracle RDB for that matter ;-)

Xiaoxin,

Informix IDS 9 is recommended by IBM for Apps exploiting OO as well as apps requiring the DBMS runs OLTP embedded.

Informix IDS has been and still is after what .. 5 years with IBM(?)... the backbone of >90% of 911 call centers in the US. Can't be that bad then and ain't going anywhere....

For balance I recommend also posting your question in c.d.informix. But again you appear to already know the answer, just trying to find ammunition. Your managers (and possibly shareholders) don't think that way. They want a business problem to be solved. This app.. does it run on both Oracle and Informix? Very few companies need a specific DBMS. They need solutions which imply apps which happen to drag DBMS with them. So what are you, being a techie, scared of? When did you last choose your car by the battery?

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau