Re: Commit after transacton is completed

From: Pradeep <agarwalp_at_eeism.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2005 02:17:07 -0800

I am sorry, but i think i wasn't clear enough. Let me rephrase it

Lets say i have table (Col1,Col2) . This table has 100,000 rows.

Now I run a query to update Col1. This update might take lets say 5 minutes. At this point of time if someone else wants to update Col2. he cannot because its locked my be. He has to wait for that 5 minutes.

If I had run that update query with a COMMIT after every 500 rows, i am locking only 500 hundred rows and the other user can update the unlocked data.

So wouldn't second option be a better choice. I know that commit only after a transaction is the best choice, its just that i wanted to have a clear solution in case of the above issue.

Thanks
Pradeep