Re: DB2 HADB

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:54:32 -0700

"Rodrick Brown" <rbrown[@]doitt.nyc.gov> wrote in message news:2005112419320875249%rbrown_at_doittnycgov...
> Has anyone worked with DB2 HADB? from what I gather it sounds exactly like
> dataguard? can anyone run through the differences if any thanks.
> --
> Rodrick R. Brown
> Unix Systems Engineer The City of New York (DoITT)

It is called HADR (High Availability Disaster Recovery). I worked with it quite a bit i the last few moths, but I don't have any hands on experience with Dataguard yet, although we are planning to use it in 2006 for some of our Oracle databases .

Basically, DB2 HADR replicates inserts, updates, and deletes to an standby database on another server (no shared disk is used). The updates are transmitted via the transaction log. As of right now, no SQL access is allowed to the standby database when it is in standby mode, however; IBM has hinted that select access may be available in a later release.

There are three modes with varying degrees of guaranteed integrity, with a corresponding inverse level of performance (Depending on network speed).

The primary and standby servers can be next to each other, or half away around the world.

The takeover of standby database to become the primary (and the primary to become the standby) can be invoked by simple DB2 commands on the standby server, or triggered by Cluster Management Software. DB2 for Linux includes a free 2 server license of Tivoli System Automation to perform the cluster management.

DB2 HADR is included for free with ESE licenses, and is an extra cost option for DB2 Workstation Unlimited Edition. Received on Thu Nov 24 2005 - 20:54:32 CST