Re: Oracle new tablespace

From: IANAL_VISTA <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 00:24:54 GMT

Yannick Effinger <y.effinger_at_ville-bischheim.fr> wrote in news:pan.2005.11.24.18.39.54.215604_at_ville-bischheim.fr:

> Le Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:58:25 -0800, gazzag a écrit :
>

>> You want to read the Oracle Concepts Guide at tahiti.oracle.com.
>>
>> You don't understand the difference between databases and tablespaces.

> No, I don't think I'm confused about that. On our Oracle engine I can see
> two databases (one for the tests, and one for production), and in each I
> can see tablespaces for every application we host (the same set on both
> the databases). And in the tnsnames.ora/listener.ora, I can read a line
> for every tablespace with the server IP and a specific port for each.

Yes, you ARE confused!
NOTHING in tnsnames.ora or listener.ora ever contains any information regarding tablespsaces.

Tablespaces & SQL*Net know nothing about each other & have ZERO relationship to each other.

If you insist you point of view is valid, please post a URL starting on http://tahiti.oracle.com
to any Oracle documentation supporting your (incorrect) assertions.

http://downloadwest.
oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c04space.htm#975

A database is divided into one or more logical storage units called tablespaces. Tablespaces are divided into logical units of storage called segments, which are further divided into extents. Extents are a collection of contiguous blocks. Received on Thu Nov 24 2005 - 18:24:54 CST