Re: 9i SAVEPOINT question

From: Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:26:46 -0000

In article <1132861969.236090_at_yasure>, DA Morgan says...

> Savepoints are designed to solve a different problem. Could you get them
> to work? Perhaps but at a huge cost in terms of manual labor. It makes
> far more sense to use the tool designed for the job.

Hi Daniel, I am pursuing this issue with you because I am keen to know whether the solution I came up with (being ignorant of DBMS_REUSABLE) appears to function as hoped having tested the routine and raised an exception at different points we find the results are rolled back to the latest savepoint.

My question to you is what is the huge cost of manual labour? 5 minutes to code, 15 to test thoroughly and the job is done (unless there is something I don't realise). This is for a once-off migration process.

Your knowledge and experience of Oracle database is highly regarded so would be very grateful to get a specific "no it doesn't work" or "yes it works but is inelegant and inflexible and incurs obscene system overheads" or womething along those lines.

cheers

--

jeremy