Re: 10g RAC: max performance & min cost with miSCSI?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:12:04 -0800

slee328_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Heikki:
>
> I agree with Daniel's recommendations because NetApps are FAST but it
> is NAS. It provides 99.99% availability instead of the pricy SAN with
> 99.999 availability. However, with the NetFiler, you save on clustered
> file systems and with the costs saving, you can always mirror your
> disks volumes to give you no single point of failure on the storage
> unit. Unless you absolutely need the 64GB/s type of I/O throughput,
> NetApp will do the job just fine. BTW, Oracle, Yahoo and Google uses
> Netapps for their Oracle DBs as well.
>
> For the CPU, if you can only buy 1 CPU for your system, purchase the
> IBM PPC chip instead of Xeon. You can go to www.tpc.org to find out
> the numbers for this CPU. It is FAST and you can run RH Linux on it
> instead of AIX.
>
> Regards,
> Stephen Lee

Actually there is no SAN on the planet that will provide five 9s of service. To achieve five 9s you need to diesel generators in the parking lot, dual redundant power conditioning, dual redundant networks and switches, etc. Five 9s isn't about hardware ... it is about infrastructure.

If someone needs more than what NAS can provide ... they'd better have a very full checkbook.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org