RAC or not RAC (was Re: 10g RAC: max performance & min cost with miSCSI?)

From: Heikki Siltala <abcwebmasterxyz_at_abcheikkisiltalaxyz.abccomxyz>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:52:54 +0200

Joel Garry wrote:
> I'd say search for a document named something like
> http://www.miracleas.dk/WritingsFromMogens/YouProbablyDontNeedRACUSVersion.pdf
> and spend the dollars on hp-ux. But I'm biased, from being fairly
> impressed by such a system (HP rpr with MSA1000).

I have now read the document, twice! :-) What we will do next is to investigate our processes and to see if RAC would really help to minimize the downtime during maintenance operations. As far as I can see it could be just opposite: we might end up doing more maintenance and having longer service breaks when using RAC.

Our current database server is a five-year-old HP-UX and I haven't seen anything else so reliable. It just works. No need for reboots, no OS crashes, no disk failures. I must be from a different planet than our Windows servers.

--
Heikki