Re: 10g RAC: max performance & min cost with miSCSI?

From: Heikki Siltala <abcwebmasterxyz_at_abcheikkisiltalaxyz.abccomxyz>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:43:53 +0200

I have been playing around with tools like Spotlight and what the database keeps waiting is the disks. It has been the same ever since the database was created over 4 years ago. Adding DBWR slaves, relocating redos and archived redos, tuning log buffer etc have been tried but the bottleneck is still the IO system which consists of "multiple SCSI disks put into a multiple disk arrays and connected to the server via various SCSI channels". What else could be expected from this kind of a mess.

The dual 440 MHz 64-bit RISC processors of the current server never run at 100 %. What we get is typically 3 % to 9 % CPU load per a data warehouse operation. On read operation the database waits for single and multiple block reads and on write operation it waits for redo logs. In a new system I want to make sure that redo writing wont be the bottleneck again. I have been thinking of placing them on two 2 GB solid state disks, and give two 15 krpm SCSI disks just for the archived logs.

Yes, what we really need is an opportunity to talk with a storage engineer. Since we are in Finland I'm not expecting much. So far all we have got is a) guys that don't ask a word about the application and just try to sell their own brand/solution and b) guys that don't ask a word about the applicaton and just wanting to use the same solution that they have been implemented to another customer or that they have been found using a Google search. :-)

--
Heikki