Re: Typically, how many sessions open at one time?

From: DaLoverhino <DaLoveRhino_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 18 Nov 2005 17:52:01 -0800

Thanks for the reply. I also like that Dilbert cartoon.

Our software needs to work in any oracle environment, unfortunately, so I can give you hard numbers. That's why I'd like to know what the limit is.

Anyways, here's what typically what we see (based on your questions.)

-connection pooling is typically used in the larger firms, but not
always so.
-About 50% of our clients have shared servers.
-I'd assume our 'Enterprise/Carrier' level customers kill zombie
processes. But, you bring up a good point, and I'll design for that, thanks.
-Most of our clients are on 32, but we are seeing a steady rise in
64bit clients.
-I don't know what pga_aggregate_target/pga_workarea_policy is. I'll
have to do my homework on it, but assume the resource hog alternative for now.

Our software is a monitoring tool. And, I want to play around with utl_tcp package to get information out of each session real time. So, I created a package with a 'package scope' tcp connection. Unfortunately, package scope variables are private to each session. What I'd really like is a tcp connection or a pool of them that can be shared across many sessions.

Some manuals floating around the internet suggest using dbms_pipes if I want connections shared across sessions. Unfortunately, I have found dbms_pipes to have alot of overhead, and they are simply not fast enough. Eventually the pipes get 'clogged' with a flood of information. I'm hoping utl_tcp is a lighter weight connection to the outside world.

If you have another alternative, that would be great. Anyways, if you can, please still answer the questions. I'd like to know them, just in case.

thanks again! Received on Fri Nov 18 2005 - 19:52:01 CST