Re: No logging during delete

From: Peter Nolan <peter_at_peternolan.com>
Date: 18 Nov 2005 06:37:28 -0800

Hi Prasath,
as far as I am aware you are out of luck.....I was taken very much by surprise on this topic about 18 months ago (Oracle 9.2)...Nologging turns out to mean 'less logging but still logging'...we looked for ages and my very good Oracle DBA came back to me and told me that if I needed to delete large numbers of records it would be logged....

The solution we ended up with was to write the new records to a work table and then merge the work table with the real table where the keys were the same and then the merge performed an update where there was less logging....

Peter Received on Fri Nov 18 2005 - 08:37:28 CST