Re: Insufficient privileges starting ASM client database(s) when ASM instance started with non-Oracle owner

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:14:15 GMT

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:52:43 -0800, Andreas Sheriff wrote:

> Configuration:
>
> Oracle 10.2.0.1.0 x86_64 on RHEL4 , using ASM and ASMLIB.
> 4 gigs mem, single Xeon (dual core), 4 D1000's with 48 drives through three
> dual interfaced controllers (8 - SCSI hookups) controlled by ASM.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?
> If you start ASM with a non-Oracle binary owner ( a user who is in the DBA
> group, of course) and you try to start an ASM client database, the database
> startup fails claiming:
>
> ORA-15055: unable to connect to ASM instance
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

Check that the ADM executable has the right permissions. Since it doesn't do it by itself right now on install, 10GR2 on SuSE (and Solaris) provides the opportunity for the DBA/SA to manually change the oracle executable to "chmod ug+s oracle extjob" and "chown nobody:nobody extjob". Same might be true of adm's executable, as it's the same installer.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com