SqlPlus headers

From: Paul <paulwragg2323_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 18 Nov 2005 02:44:01 -0800

Hi

I have a problem that hopefully will be very simple to somebody out there but is causing me a headache at the moment!

This is an example of my problem.

I have a table:

create table heading_test
(col1 varchar2(2) not null,
col2 varchar2(5) not null,
col3 varchar2(250) not null);

I insert a record in to the table:

insert into heading_test (col1, col2, col3) values ('hi', 'hello', 'hello hello hello hello hello');

I then wish to select from the table, using alias' for each of the columns as follows:

select col1 column1, col2 column2, col3 column3 from heading_test;

The output from SqlPlus is below:

CO COLUM COLUMN3
hi hello hello hello hello hello hello

The header names are truncated to the length of the field. I cannot do what I need to do unless I can stop this from happening.

In reality I am doing this and spooling the results to a file. The results are then being imported in to Excel and used as a comparison of data output by an application. The column headings have to match those of the application (which cannot be changed).

Please can anybody tell me how to get the header to show the full alias and not be truncated to the length of the field?

Many Thanks in advance.

Paul Received on Fri Nov 18 2005 - 04:44:01 CST