Re: 10g RAC: max performance & min cost with miSCSI?

From: Heikki Siltala <abcwebmasterxyz_at_abcheikkisiltalaxyz.abccomxyz>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:55:07 +0200

DA Morgan wrote:
> First: My understanding with Standard Edition is that it covers up
> to 4 CPUs. If that is still correct you might want to go for a 3
> node or 4 node cluster. You never want to be ina position where
> taking a CPU off-line cuts your processing power by 50% and removes
> all failover capability.

We are running Enterprise Edition due to reasons that we use for example   OLAP option which is not available on Standard Edition. What we are looking for is
1) to protect the system from downtime due to "single point of failure" type of failures and
2) to give possibility to install patches or do other maintenance during the regular working hours and
3) keep the costs low.

I feel that building a two node RAC 1 CPU per node with low-cost well-performing disk system could fullfill all these needs. We are happy that our database and applications running against it are not 24/7 and can tolerate downtime in rare situations when 1) there is a "more than a single point of failure" type of failure and 2) when a failure on the active node occurs while the other node is under maintenace (pathcing etc)

Of course, if didn't have to consider the budget, we would buy four node system and fiber channel SAN.

--
Heikki