Constraint Question - Deferred or Not Deferred?

From: <art_at_chicagorsvp.com>
Date: 16 Nov 2005 12:43:38 -0800

Hi,

I am having trouble understanding the following states of a constraint:

Initially Immediate
Initially Deferred
NoValidate

>From my understandings, Initially Immediate means check the constraint
as soon as the user hits enter. Initially Deferred means to check the constraint when the user types commit.

Novalidate, I think, means not to check the data in the table. From what I have read, when a constraint is 'Novalidate', it creates a non-unique index, I assume to keep track of what was in the table?

If I have a disabled constraint and want to enable it and not check what is in the table, can I alter the constraint to Novalidate?

I also heard of a Reply and NoReply state, which I have not read about yet.....

Thanks. Received on Wed Nov 16 2005 - 14:43:38 CST