Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 released with Bitmapped Indexes! and TPC!

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:48:14 +0000

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

> The members of c.d.o.server are proud to announce that they will
> ignore PostgreSQL 8.1 since the people promoting it are unapologetically
> rude trolls that spam usenet groups.

> But to claim your garbage is more advanced than Ingres is a joke.

> Does "open source database" necessarily equate with spammer?
> Apparently so.

AFAICS, the members of PostgreSQL mailing/newsgroup lists would never be involved in a spam such as this. I don't recognise the OP's address from any of the PostgreSQL lists that I've frequented, so I think that it's fair to assume that this is just a deluded zealot.

If he'd genuinely wanted to start a thread comparing XE to PostgreSQL, then I belive that the post would have been on topic here, but it was clearly just a promotional spam.

 I reiterate that I believe that nobody with any cred whatsoever on the PostgreSQL newsgroups/lists would have anything whatsoever to do with such a tactic, so don't think the worse of PostgreSQL for the actions of one irresponsible idiot. Just like I don't think the worse of Oracle for the occasional rantings on this ng.

IMHO. Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.