Re: MOD_PLSQL and cookies - when available to the server?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:05:23 -0500

"Andy Hardy" <junkmail@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message news:SBNDEPBasieDFAUJ@[127.0.0.1]...

> In message <5I2dnQBkuYP3UeTenZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d_at_comcast.com> , Mark C. Stock
> <mcstockX_at_Xenquery.com> writes

>>"Andy Hardy" <junkmail@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>>> In message <-d2dnRGTb7Hd0-TeRVn-uQ_at_comcast.com> , Mark C. Stock
>>> <mcstockX_at_Xenquery.com> writes

>>> We are, but the current application does an HTTP 'send' on completion of
>>> the logon. This transfers the cookie to the client browser and makes it
>>> available to later 'gets'. I was hoping that the new URL/procedure would
>>> be able to 'send' the cookie and have it available for 'get' *before*
>>> I'd
>>> actually done the HTTP 'send' to the client.

>>> --
>>> Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849
>>
>>still not quite following you, but i'm quessing you want to call a PL/SQL
>>procedure that can get the cookie contents after the Set-Cookie line is
>>generated but before the cookie is known to the browser (hence, before
>>OWA_COOKIE.GET can see it)
>>

> Correct.
>

>>if that's the case, two options come to mind:
>
> Thanks, I'll look into them. Once of my concerns is the way in which
> mod_plsql handles the pooling of connections, etc.  I'm not entirely sure
> when it's safe to write to the global packages, etc. and knowing that the
> current set of values refer to the current client and not to the previous
> one...
>
> --
> Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849

package to package calls (not URL calls) will have the same state, since its the same database session

think of it this way

Broswer submits URL to mod_plsql

--> package adds to HTTP stream (via htp.p)
--> package calls package, same session, adds the HTTP stream
--> package calls package, same session, adds the HTTP stream
--> package calls package, same session, adds the HTTP stream
--> end of database proessing; HTTP stream returned to and processed by
browser

So, between the time the browswer submits the first URL and the stream is completed, all database calls will be the same session (and same transaction, unless you include transaction control statements)

++ mcs Received on Tue Nov 15 2005 - 13:05:23 CST