Re: Oracle 10g using SAN

From: JW <jw_at_abc.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:51:44 GMT

On 15 Nov 2005 00:40:08 -0800, "Thomas Hucke" <thomas.hucke_at_spb.de> wrote:

>JW wrote:
>> Do you mean I need to set up 3 LUN ? one for data, one for index and
>> one for redo log and archivelog ?
>>
>> I thought one LUN can be partitioned into 3 logical drives or volumes.
>> The LUN will be spreaded across all physical drives, hencing improving
>> disk I/O.
>>
>> The EMC guys will be coming for a meeting. I want to have some
>> background before it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> JW
>>
>> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:17:06 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
>> wrote:

>> >You shouldn't want to. This will just hurt performance. Not because
>> >I am suggesting you separate data and indexes, that is nonsense, but
>> >because one LUN is a really bad idea.
>> >
>> >Ask EMC to teach you what you need to know about storage optimization.
>
>I´m with DA in this point.
>You need at least 2 LUNs per database:
> * one to store datafiles, controlfiles (1st mirror) and redolog
>(1st mirror)
> * one to store archivelogs, controlfiles (2nd mirror) and redolog
>(2nd mirror)
>In 10g you should put the flashback area also on the 2nd LUN.
>Following this rule you´re able to quickly restore your database if
>any of your volumes will fail. If your storage system features snapshot
>technologies you´re able to make consistent online backups of your DB
>"in a second".
>If you like to implement RAC you should also consider to put the
>$ORACLE_HOME-directory on a shared storage using NFS or CIFS-shares.
>
>You do not need to consider any other storage optimization like
>mirroring and striping. That would be done better by your storage
>system.
>
>Some storage vendors recommend to use more than only one LUN/volume to
>avoid any I/O per LUN limitation of the operatin system.

Thanks for all the updates

What I am not sure is do I need to divide the first LUN into 3 volumes to hold data, index and redo/control files (to simulate my D, E, F drive) ?

Or have 3 LUN, each will be one volume to simulate my D, E, F drives ? If this is chosen, do I need to specify these LUN should be on different physical drives ?

Thanks again for the clarification and help in advance.

JW      Received on Tue Nov 15 2005 - 07:51:44 CST