Re: MOD_PLSQL and cookies - when available to the server?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 06:54:17 -0500

"Andy Hardy" <junkmail@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message news:pr9tOfFbTZeDFAAh@[127.0.0.1]...
> In message <-d2dnRGTb7Hd0-TeRVn-uQ_at_comcast.com> , Mark C. Stock
> <mcstockX_at_Xenquery.com> writes

>>presumably you're using OWA_COOKIE.SEND to set the cookie
>>
>>is OWA_COOKIE.GET not retrieving the value?
>
> We are, but the current application does an HTTP 'send' on completion of
> the logon. This transfers the cookie to the client browser and makes it
> available to later 'gets'. I was hoping that the new URL/procedure would
> be able to 'send' the cookie and have it available for 'get' *before* I'd
> actually done the HTTP 'send' to the client.

> --
> Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849

still not quite following you, but i'm quessing you want to call a PL/SQL procedure that can get the cookie contents after the Set-Cookie line is generated but before the cookie is known to the browser (hence, before OWA_COOKIE.GET can see it)

if that's the case, two options come to mind:

your authentiation and cookie management code will need to manage the state of the cookies -- have your authentication process (which generates the Set-Cookie line) set a package variable. Then rather than have your other processes call OWA_COOKIE.GETdirectly, have them call a package procedure that checks the cookie and the package variable, returning the value wherever it is found.

the other option is to invoke the PL/SQL procedure via a URL (likely a redirect) after the logon URL's send.

either option requires some application design that will need to be applied to all secure pages -- bottom line (if I'm understanding your scenario correctly) is if the cookie does not yet exist, you have to make some provision on the database side to manage the value in the interim

++ mcs Received on Tue Nov 15 2005 - 05:54:17 CST